Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Carrie's Worship Playlist

I often have people ask me what worship songs I'm listening to at any given moment. There are so many good albums out here recently, I just thought I'd let you take a tour through my playlist.

First of all- new Passion CD: Let The Future Begin. Oh wow. Every song on this one is fantastic. I don't love the title track "God's Great Dance Floor/Let the Future Begin" as a corporately sung worship song, but it's got a great beat. My kids and I are often found dancing around to this one. Cohen the other night said, "hold on Mom! Pause the dance floor! I will be right back!" My top 3 favorites off of this one are "The Lord Our God" by Kristian Stanfill (the bridge is based on Numbers 9, where the Israelites would only move when the pillar of cloud, or the fire by night would move-cool concept.) " Here's My Heart" by THE David Crowder is a nice song-simple, but says all that we need to say to God. I also really like " In Christ Alone" sung by Kristian Stanfill. This is a great modern hymn (written in 2001 by Stuart Townend and Keith Getty). Buy this whole CD. You will not be disappointed!


Second on my go-to list is "Burning Lights" by Chris Tomlin. I've got to be honest. I generally do not enjoy his studio recordings at all. He's so dynamic and powerful in live settings. I have been spoiled by all those times we saw him lead worship live back in our younger days. But this album is different. There are a lot of good songs on here. You can't really go wrong with any of them. My favorite song is "Crown Him/Majesty" which we have been doing at LCC. I love that bridge, "All hail Redeemer, hail. For He has died for me. His praise and glory shall not fail, throughout eternity."


I'm patiently waiting for David Crowder to put out his first solo album after the break up of David Crowder Band. We saw him in concert a couple weeks ago. If you are afraid of bluegrass, I promise if you'll just give Crowder's new sound a try, he will win you over. He artfully blends bluegrass and folk with modern sounds and songs. It's a toe-tappin', loud-singin', good time of worship. I am assuming he'll be working on an album here directly as he introduced several new songs at the concert.

In the same vein, "Campfire" by Rend Collective Experiment is great. It's folky, it's organic, and for good reason- it's a bunch of people singing together around a fire in Ireland. Seriously good content- I especially like the song "Build Your Kingdom Here". Honestly, I could do without the song Kumbaya. I get it. Believe me, I do- with the campfire theme and all, it's practically a requirement to have it on there. I've hosted many a campfire and that song has been, is, and forever will be, banned. No offense to whoever wrote it whenever, but it's a song I could definitely go without hearing. Ever. Again. But overall, great CD (if you skip track #1.)

"Zion" by Hillsong United has such a great, fresh vibe to it. I can hardly get enough. The songs and lyrics are unique, but the truth within is familiar. Great stuff!


So buy some new music today! I love how God inspires and directs people to write songs that touch people (maybe even Kumbaya hits someone in a special way...now I feel a little bad about how harsh I was...maybe.)


No comments:

Post a Comment