Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Every Good and Perfect Gift

Have you ever had one of those moments where all of a sudden you realize just how blessed you really are? I just had one. I was sitting here working on some LCC worship stuff on the computer while Jarrod and Cohen were lying on our bed watching a documentary on youtube about worms (I know...strange). 


It must have been really boring for both of them because I soon heard the familiar strains of Jarrod's snores and noticed Cohen fighting to keep his eyes open. I sat here and watched them sleep and thought they looked pretty cozy. I crept over to the bed and snuggled in between them and just laid there watching them sleep. I marveled over Cohen's sweet little face with the perfect nose and mouth...ridiculously long, dark eyelashes, and that bleachy-blonde, floppy surfer hair hanging down over his eyes. I listened to them breathing- one of them MUCH more loudly than the other :) - and God began to remind me of how blessed I am. 



  • I've got two healthy, active children who are growing in the knowledge of the Lord

  • I am married to my best friend- a man of God whose calm and peaceful demeanor balances me out perfectly. I totally love this guy. He is the absolute perfect person for me. And we belong to each other! What a gift! 


  • My family is fantastic. They are fun, giving, lovely people to share life with. 

  • I've got the most beautiful place to live here in the forest. Sure, there is a lot of work to be done still on the house we've been building for years and years, but it's all coming together. We're very dry and warm and comfortable and my propensity for patience and contentment as we've gone through the house-building process has increased dramatically. 


  • God has opened so many doors to allow me to live out my dreams and goals as Worship Director at LCC. I can't tell you how much joy this has brought to me over the past few months. Seeking Him, knowing Him more- leading His people to His throne in praise...it's what I live for! 


Is my life perfect? Not by a long shot. Do I have the typical frustrations- from my house being messy, to my children challenging my authority, to distress over the economy, to health concerns? Absolutely.


My life is far from perfect, but I am thankful I serve a God who is. And I know in my heart today that He is working all things together for my good and for the good of my family. How rich would our lives be if we could all embrace these truths, myself included! How easy it is to get distracted and discouraged by all the things that aren't going the way we'd like them to. I believe this is the enemy's favorite tool- to get us focused on the few negative aspects of our lives just to the point that we forget to be thankful for all the positives. 


I encourage you today to just pause and find a moment to consider all the blessings around you. Mine are almost too many to count! True worship flows from a heart that recognizes it's blessings, and most importantly, the divine Source of those blessings- our almighty God, giver of every perfect gift!




Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with Whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth,that we should be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures.


James 1:16-18





1 comment:

  1. You are blessed and through your blessings, you bless LCC. Thanks for all you do.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete