Friday, May 13, 2011

The Power of Prayer

I have learned over the last couple of days the power that lies within our prayers. It has become more clear to me than ever that prayer is just as much for us as it is for God. When we bring our requests to God, it's not like we're dropping some bomb on Him that He didn't know about. The scriptures say in Matthew 6:8 that "your Father knows what you need before you ask Him." He knows what's going on and He even knows how it will all turn out in the end.


So why even bother with prayer in the first place? Well, let me tell you a little about the last couple of days in the life of the Crawford family. Without going into too much detail, we noticed something just wasn't right with Cohen as he was running about naked (as he often does) the other day and made an appointment. The Nurse Practitioner sent for the Doctor of the medical practice right away, and then he got on the phone with a Children's Hospital Pediatric Urologist right away. The Urologist cleared out his schedule for the morning so that we could come up. I knew this was more than just a little bump from a bike seat at that point. 


I used to consider myself the Queen of What If's ... Mrs. Worst Case Scenario. My mind started to race. On my LCC video segment for Easter, I stated that I was overcome by worry, but He overcame...well, I wasn't so sure that was the case. As I felt the all-to familiar waves of worry rising, I knew that this moment called for something different. I began to pray. I really just started to sink into the comforting arms of our Father and yes, I was a little nervous, but no tears were shed, no breakdowns were had. Every time a nagging thought would start to enter I would pray it out. The scriptures say that we should be "taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ" (2 Corinthians 2:5) Silas started throwing up last night at midnight and I thought for a second that I would crumble- one kid scheduled to meet with a surgeon for an unknown issue that could potentially require surgery, one kid screaming, crying in pain, and throwing up. Recipe for Carrie Catastrophe.  But I closed myself in the bathroom, lifted my hands and said, simply, "God...we need You. Now." And He let us know that He was with us. 


See, I think we sometimes love the idea that "God is with us", but we disregard or are ignorant of the fact that we have to be with Him also. Prayer and a relationship with God require communication and a give and take partnership. So often in the past when a problem would rise, I would just withdraw and worry myself sick. I would believe in my heart that God was in control and knew what was going on, but I did not consult Him to deal with my feelings and reactions. It's when we not only believe that God is sovereign and powerful, but that we also draw from His sovereignty and power through prayer or His word, that we can begin to face and deal with a problem head on. That is when worry can be overcome. The difference for me in this situation was that God was with me, but I was also with Him continually. 


So, Cohen ended up having a hydrocele, sort of like a hernia. It will require surgery next week on Wednesday at Children's Hospital. He will be under general anesthesia. I am not going to lie...I am a little nervous about all that. But the fact that I'm not paralyzed with fear and playing out the worst case scenarios in my head right now is truly a miracle. I don't have that pit of fear in my stomach. Every time an anxious thought pops into my head, I send it packing with prayer. And it is a great feeling to know that others are praying as well. Prayer changes situations, but more importantly, prayer changes people. It has certainly changed me. 


Be blessed friends and thank you for your prayers. They have certainly been a great comfort to me. 


Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  Philippians 4:6


Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:16


Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. James 5:13-16



No comments:

Post a Comment